Wednesday 29 February 2012

Module Review Day!

Yesterday was module review day with Charlie. We are given a form on which we have to appraise our progress in relation to the module learning outcomes outlined in our module guide. So this gave me, or rather made me, re-read the module guide - which was good because it has helped my to remember the whole point of this module (Fashion & Textiles Development)!

Just so you know what I'm talking about I'll write them down here:

1. Carry out a wide ranging theoretical and practical investigation into traditional and unusual media, materials and processes.

2. Analyse, identify and present the potential and limitations of media for creating ideas and developing solutions.

3. Investigate the work of a range of practitioners who have worked in related media.

4. Understand and exploit the potential and limitations of selected media and materials in their own work.



So how am I doing...?

I think that I am working my way through number 1 alright with the different processes I have used so far. I still have to explore some natural dyes I could use that will fit with my colour palette. Perhaps I need to look further into some more unusual processes?

I think I am tackling number 2 by writing this blog.

Number 3 I can do via this blog too, but need to do a bit more research on other practitioners.

re-reading number 4, I'm not sure what context 'their' is in, (must remember to ask Charlie!)


My module review went well, Charlie seemed really happy with my progress so far. We also talked about whether I'm sticking to my original project statement, which for the most part I am. The only thing that I think has really changed is "I will be using natural fabrics and yarn like wool and cotton". Yes, I have been using natural textiles in my work, but I have also found it necessary to incorporate man-made fabrics and yarn - for cost purposes, availability of second-hand/recycled materials, and the limitation of sticking to my colour palette. (See, this is me being reflective!)

My action plan is to:

  • Draw out design ideas
  • Explore potentional of mono printing
  • Continue to consider possibilities in terms of fashion
  • Add drawings into sketch book to support sample development


In a bid to extend experimentation of printed samples, I tried using a method that Fiona suggested last week. Again-using the back of the rag rug sample as inspiration. I created a couple of rows of 'bobbles' using some wadding, fabric and elastic bands, this was then taped to a piece of sturdy cardboard to create a kind of stamp.


To be honest, I'm not really that sure about the result.



Next up was a pom-pom like bath sponge that I got in a bath stuff gift for christmas.

I really love the imprint that it makes on the paper, it really looks very pom-pom like!

It also reminds me of oriental style chrysanthemum prints

1 comment: