Thursday 9 February 2012

Rag Rugging

Today I have been mostly rag rugging.


During the initial research for this project I was really inspired by the designs of traditional Berber rugs which are made using scraps of fabric. I thought that I might be able to recreate something similar with a rag rug kit and then use it to create a hood or sleeve on a garment.



But after 2 1/2 hours of working on it, I've only got this far! Although I really love the texture that this method creates, I think this process would be too time consuming for this project. I'm glad I had a go though, I suppose I could use it to create a cuff for a sleeve, or fringing on a shoulder. It has also made me really appreciate the time and energy that goes into making the beautiful Berber rugs that I have looked at.


Interestingly I also like the back of the rug. It reminds me of the Maasai tribe's beaded jewellery.

No comments:

Post a Comment