Thursday 16 February 2012

Sport and Fashion at The Fashion Museum, Bath

During half-term we spent a few days with my parents who have a flat in Bath. They live about 15 mins walk from the Fashion Museum, so when I visit I always go and have a look and see if they have any 'new to me' exhibitions on.

Inspired by the 2012 Olympics, their new year-long exhibition is about Sport and Fashion and opened on 4th February. I took a few pictures on my iPhone whilst I was there, but the quality is not great owing to the exhibit being behind glass.



The hood/snood is a modern take on the traditional nomadic headscarfs


Mango Yellow Silk Chiffon Hoodie Dress, S/S '07, By Jasper Conran - fashion's response to David Cameron's 'Hug a Hoodie' speech in 2006.

Magenta Cowl Neck Dress, A/W '11/12, By Victoria Beckham - winner of Best Designer Brand at the 2011 British Fashion Awards.

Grey Team GB Hoodie and Sweatpants, 2011, By Stella McCartney for Adidas - Stella McCartney has designed sportswear for the British Olympic team.




I love how the maker has incorporated the decorative edges of the blanket in this coat, and the re-use of the blanket fits in with the nomadic way of life.

Cream Tobogganing Suit, 1880s - Worn by the Park Tobogganing Club, made from a Hudson Bay woollen blanket.



Is this the ultimate coat for the modern day nomad?

Dark Green Puffa Coat with Red silk Dress, A/W '04, By Stella McCartney - This luxurious coat takes its inspiration from a functional all-weather sleeping bag.




Playing with scale is something I want to explore, I love the oversized knit pom-pom!

Red, Blue and Cream Knitted Ensemble, 2011, By Hannah Taylor, RCA Collection Gran, Will You Knit us a Man City Top? - The sports supporter's scarf inspires a giant knitted ensemble.






This dress has an almost tribal look to it with the bright colours and stripes: I suppose that team kits/strips are a modern way to show you allegiance to your 'tribe'.

Rugby Shirt Dress, S/S '08, By Gary Harvey - Gary Harvey is an eco-fashion designer, using discarded clothing in his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment