Tuesday 17 January 2012

Statement

After collating visual research and information about different nomadic cultures I have noticed some common themes that seem to re-occur across the different tribes, even though they live on different continents. These are:

· Use of vivid colours (particularly vibrant red and an intense cobalt blue)

· Layering of clothing

· Ornamentation/Adornment (beading, metal trinkets and tattooing)

· Use of natural materials (wool, cotton, fur, leather and wood)

· Weaving and rug making

I have discovered that textiles & jewellery are very important to nomadic tribes.

Jewellery is not only decorative but is an easy way to carry their wealth with them at all times. Textiles are functional, decorative and easy to carry, not only are they used to keep them warm but also help to decorate their home and make it feel like ‘home’ as they move from place to place.

I will be drawing inspiration from a selection of nomadic tribes The Mongolian and Tibetan nomads found in Asia, and the Berbers, Bedouins and Maasai of Africa.

I want to keep my colour palette quite bright, in keeping with the tribes I have focused my research on, and have given my colours names that I think are in keeping with their cultures. My chosen colours are:

· Blood Red

· Bone

· Saffron Yellow

· Cobalt Blue

· Bare Earth

· Cerise Pink

I also want to use a metallic silver or gold to embellish, which I haven’t decided on yet.

I will be using natural fabrics and yarn like wool and cotton, as they are easy to dye, would be available to nomadic tribes and are matt in texture. I may use leather if I can find anything suitable. I also want to use fur in my designs, but this will probably have to be synthetic, due to availability of real fur. I will try to re-use second hand fabrics, which I have been gathering, as this would be in keeping with what some nomadic tribes do.

I am interested in researching some processes that nomadic tribes may or could use when creating their textiles. These will include rag rugging (Berber tribe), finger knitting, felting with wool and creating natural dyes. I would also like to incorporate some making of tassels and pom-poms with yarn.

I will be focusing on designing samples for use in fashion, but will try to incorporate one or two pieces of garment construction in my final outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment