Wednesday 29 February 2012

Monoprint or Monotype?

Charlie told asked me whether I was interested in her showing me how to use mono printing, and said yes, so we are going to have a go at it next tuesday when I see her next.

So in preparation I have been doing a little online research into what is is, how to do it, and what sort of results you can get. I found a pretty interesting explanation at monoprints.com. After reading through their website I think that what I will doing is actually monotype, as although pretty similar mono print is when you use a pre-etched plate so you can reproduce the same image with added extras over and over. Monotype is when you paint an image onto; or complete ink up and work into (removing patches of ink with various tools); a blank plate.

According to the website monotype has been implemented by artists including Degas, Matisse and Gauguin. In fact it is believed that Gauguin invented the method of direct trace drawing - laying paper on to a blank inked plate and then drawing the image directly on the back of the paper. Below is a example of Gauguin using this method.


Two Marquesans by Paul Gauguin
image from here

No comments:

Post a Comment