Tuesday 8 May 2012

Fashion illustrations

I always find doing fashion illustrations for my designs daunting. As I've said before, I'm not very confident in my drawing capabilities and although I can visualise in my head what I want my design to look like in reality, I find it difficult to communicate on paper.


image found via uponafold.com.au

Charlie suggested that if I drew a layout of my dress, a bit like a flat similar to image above, then I could experiment with different print and embroidery designs and how they would be placed on the actual dress. It would also mean that I could use these designs as my fashion illustrations that I need to submit with my garment.



I originally drew the design as a4 size which I then photocopied and blew up to a3 to make drawing the designs easier. I used a collage technique that we have been working on with Lucy in our drawing module to illustrate the patchwork style appliqué I intend to use for my final outcome. I will be using the last design shown above as my final design as I think it brings together all the different elements I wanted to include when I wrote my statement. I always had a image in my head of the plants growing up from the hem of the dress and I think this illustrates what was in my head best.

No comments:

Post a Comment