Thursday 19 January 2012

Pattern cutting part deux

More Pattern cutting today with Claudette!



This was last weeks effort, manipulating darts, moving a bust dart into the armhole.



After that I managed to cut out a winged seam with a princess line, and then we ran out of time.



So today we made up half a bodice with the pieces I cut out last week. Next up was the collars...





This was my Peter pan collar, so sweet! We had to overstitch on the underside of the collar to create a crisp edge, which was a bit tricky when you come to the rounded lapel bits, but I really pleased with my first attempt.




Last up was a cute little stand collar, like you might use on a cheongsam style dress. I have to say that I didn't think I'd enjoy pattern cutting as much as I did. I really love the neatness of it all and how with the use of a block you can change a design, but it magically fits the mannequin when you are done.

One thing I really wanted to make before I started this course, was this collar (from the film Bright Star). I don't think it would quite 'fit' in this project, but it is an idea I would like to use in the future. After finding this image on the internet I have also noticed just how amazing the cardigan looks. Is it tiny crocheted squares stitched corner to corner? Just beautiful! In fact, this whole film is just visual perfection, if you haven't seen it, you must.

No comments:

Post a Comment