Saturday 27 April 2013

Introduction to textile applications - module review

So far I have built up a good range of ink and bleach drawings, discharged fabric samples and knit samples. My technical folder is more or less up to date and I have made a good start in my sketchbook with research.


discharged fabric samples drying after wash-off procedure


I really like the strong graphic effect the discharge process has created on these black fabric squares, it is definitely a process that I would like to experiment more with in the future. It will be interesting to see how the discharge paste will affect the different yarns I have used in my knits, which I started to screen print onto yesterday. I won't see the results until the beginning of the week because they have to be steamed to activate the discharge process.



 getting ready to screen print onto knit samples with discharge paste


My tutors, Charlie and Will, think that I have a strong colour palette in my knit samples, that I need to start coming through into my ink and bleach and discharged fabric samples. I can do this with gouache and hand embroidery. I have been advised to consider the placement of my stencils for screen printing over my knits, so I get best effects when the dye is discharged from the yarns. The work that I did in yesterdays session will help me to make decisions on which stencils work best and which yarn colours work best with the discharging process. I will then be able to knit up some more samples next ready for discharging next friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment