Saturday 28 April 2012

Pocket placement


I've decided that since my apron dress is supposed to be a practical garment, it's important for it to have pockets, and decent sized ones at that to fit all the garden paraphernalia you need to carry around with you.


Fiona suggested that I cut out some different shapes and pin them on to my garment so I can visualise the correct height to place them, so they are comfortable and practical to use, and also what they might look like aesthetically. The pocket above would be hidden and sewn into the side seams of the dress. It is deep so things will not fall out when you are working.



The design above is a large patch pocket that would be on either side of the dress. I would need to take it into consideration when finalising the placement of my print and embroidery on the dress.


In the end I have decided to go for one hidden pocket that runs under the front of the dress like a muff or hand warmer. It is joined to the side seams on each side and is accessible from either opening so you don't have to remember which side you put your plant labels of string in! The pocket will be hidden under the pleating in the front of the dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment