Thursday 8 March 2012

Using Natural Dyes



In my statement I said that I wanted to explore using natural dyes, as this is what nomadic tribes would have traditional used to dye their fabrics. After some research online, I discovered that a lot of the vegetable dyes only create muted colours, and my colour palette is quite vibrant. If I want to create a vibrant pink I would have to buy cochineal (made from a beetle) and cobalt blue is made from an mineral which I would have to buy especially as well. But I did discover that you can make a really vibrant yellow from turmeric -the spice, so using this video to help me, I tried it.





I am really pleased with the results. The dye takes really well onto the cotton scraps I used, even after just being in the mixture for 5 minutes, and being rinsed and squeezed out.
Since this is a natural dye that has been successful, I think I should incorporate it into my final samples in some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment